Friday, July 24, 2009

FAT is relative, right?

I was just reflecting on a time in my life when I was fat. Well, anyway, I thought I was fat. I was about 115 lbs.

Then, A few years later, I thought I was fat again. At about 120, I just wished so much that I could go back in time and appreciate when I thought I was fat a 115. How great 115 would be. How could I EVER think that was fat?

Then I got fat.

I gained tons of weight (and mysteriously, too...not really much diet or lifestyle change) around my 23rd birthday. And it stuck. I was nearing 160lbs, people. And for those of you who don't know, I am only about 5 feet tall.

Anyway, I wished so much that I could get down to a size 8. That's all I wanted.

So years later, I did. In fact, currently, I am a size 8. (But I have to add that some shorts are still 10s and a couple dresses are 12s...let's not forget I am a breastfeeding new mama!!!!!!)

Anyway, sometimes you've just got to give yourself a break.

I think that I'll always be able to find things about my body to pick at and dislike. But what I don't do enough of is recognize what great things my body has accomplished. And so has yours.

Whether you've climbed a mountain, overcome an illness, made a baby, survived indulgences....whatever...you've done some great things with that body you'll always find unattractive in some ways!

I hope to never be anywhere near 160 again (unless I am carrying another human being.)
And I plan on not.
But I still love myself and my flabby, saggy body! It's been places, people!

No comments: